Sunday 22 January 2017

5 Tips to a Positive Mind

2016 was a hard year for me. I struggled daily with depression and anxiety and created my own very negative world. Even though I was surrounded daily but people who love me and supported me and would do anything in their power to make me smile, I just didn't see it and I hated it.

I was on medication for around 9 months and I know I am very lucky to have been able to reduce and stop my anti-depressants and anxiety medication as many people have them for years if not a life time.

However as much as the medication helped me with my depression I still found it extremely hard to see a positive, in anything and I knew that has to change, in order for me to start feeling more myself I was the on that had to make the change. Medication can only help to far.

I fell I am now in a place I want to be. To get to this place I have found certain things have helped me reach the point I'm at now and I really want to share them with you.
1. Find the positive.
For everyone, not just people who suffer from depression or any kind of mental illness, it will always be the negative part of your day that will stand out and stick in your mind. We really have to stop and think to find a positive, but this is something we must do! 
I would make myself sit down before I went to sleep and write down at least 1 positive thing that had happened in that day, whether it be as small as something smiling at me on the street and saying thank you after I had helped that at work to getting a promotion at work.
Writing down these meant I ended my day seeing the good and not dwelling on the bad. It also meant I would make up in a much more motivated and positive mood ready for the day ahead.

2. Do something out of your comfort zone.
Obviously this is not something you can act on everyday but If something arises and invite to a party or a day out with a friend, something that makes you scared, say YES! You of course might be extremely anxious about going to this party or day out but believe me the feeling and buzz you feel after you have pushed through the fear is immense. The Pride you feel in yourself is an amazing feeling and something everyone should experience .
Be proud of who you are and what you've done. 

You're AMAZING!

3. Reflect and have 'me' time
Even the most positive person on the earth will have their down days, days were they don't want to see people and talk to people and just want to be alone. Thats okay! But instead of sitting and watching Netflix in your Jammies, go and pamper yourself, do something that you really enjoy doing or that makes you feel good. Paint your nails, have a relaxing bubble bath, read a book, go for a run? These are just a few examples that used to help me. Make yourself feel good! 

You deserve it!

4. Be conscience of who you surround yourself with.
I'm an emotion sponge, by that I mean I will feel the emotion that the person I'm with is feeling, meaning that when I had people in my life that oozed negativey I will also look at the world in the same way. I had to let people go out of my life to help myself. As selfish as that sounds it really has done me the world of good. I have so many people in my life now that really drive me to the best I can be. Making me proud of all I have achieved so far rather then always focusing on what I'm yet to achieve.

5. Cry
If you need to cry DO IT! If you need to scream DO IT!! Don't hold it in! Find someone you can talk to. I never spoke to people about how I was feeling because I was afraid of what they might think and  I was terrified of them turning their back on me. I was so wrong. If a person turns away from you when you need them most, they aren't worth having in your life! trust me! I lost friendships when I was at my worst, friendships I believed to be strong, but they clearly weren't, I feel so much better now having lost those people because I know those who are still here are here for good and love me.


I'm not exactly 100% where I want to be in my life, but I am happy with where I am and who I have in it. I look back of where I have come from and how far I've come and I'm excited for the future. I no longer just look forward and what I haven't reached yet. 
Look at what I've achieved I know I can do anything if I really believe!
If you need someone to talk to please message me, tweet me anything! I'm here to listen.

Lots of Love
Cara

Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Cara Wood | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Developed by pipdig